Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Fruity looping it.

Non Dorky Part.

Lisa, my sister, is engaged to Nick, after many years. Congratulations to those crazy kids! Bailey the dog is very happy about it. Also, I suppose they (Lisa and Nick) are happy about it. And my mom. And me. Probably some other people to. Maybe you are. Man! I should write some sort of engagement song, like I did for Andrew's birthday. But do people want an event such as that commemorated with obnoxious lo-fi music? I cannot say, for the world is surely full of mystery.

I got this email:

>From: 2SweetTim
>To: Michael
>Subject: Wallaperz
>
>Yo! I need new wallpaperz for my dizktop!
>You find any old pictures you made and
>thought were long lost on a mysterious
>disk lately??? I need thems!1 My girl is
>coming over an I got to cover up the pron
>wallpape!!!!!
>
>2sweet

Yeah, 2SweetTim, I have just that.

Old Wallpaper I made and found recently

Dorky Part.

I've been listening to a lot of video game music, and music inspired by video game music. Now, when I say video game music, I don't mean new music. I mean real video game music from the days of old, when they were beepy and powered by strange little sound chips bleeting out square waves and triangle waves and awkward drum noises. You know, the good stuff. (I'm such a dork, I drove to class the other day listening to a CD of Sonic The Hedgehog Music.) And I'm waiting for James to mail me my copy of midisoft, so I can make some crappy sounding music of my own. In the mean time I thought I would re-try Fruity Loops.

I tried Fruity Loops before and it didn't do much for me, but I think I was looking at it wrong. I thought it was some program that easily allowed you to drop some dope-ass techno and dance beats with great ease and a slick sound. Which it does, and pretty well. But that's not my thing too often. Now I'm looking at it as a tool to sequence and alter samples into a song, and that is much more interesting to me. I loaded up all the clips of sound I recorded in Europe and it sliced them into little bits that I can repeat and change the pitch of at will. I'm starting to better understand how music like Four-Tet is made. Now I want to go out and record all sorts of things and load them onto my computer and see what I can chop together.

Today I did my first Fruity Loop thing that I really liked, so I'm putting it up. As per all the video game music I've been listening to, there are lots of boops and blats, and most of them are sampled from a commodore 64. I didn't sample them, I don't have a C64, but someone out there did, and I kindly used their samples. All of the drums and strange noises are C64, and they rock. The bells you hear is a bicycle bell I recorded in Amsterdam, actually, that I sampled the heck out of all over the place. The lady you hear and the train were in belgium, and waaaay in the background are some droning monk chants from Amsterdam, too. The lead synth sound is the Moog, behaving semi-nicely today.

From A Balloon, Over A Wide Sea

I shall continue to strive for old-school video game boopiness! Especially since I haven't come up with much in the way of lyrics, even bad lyrics, in a while. Ah well. I still have square waves!

Comments:
Wow...I had no idea you could work Fruityloops like that. Seriously neato, sir. To me, you are the Chuck Yeager of the amature music scene, pushing your creations past the speed of sweet.
 
the sound piece is very awesome i really didn't know that much about fruit loops it souds cool i'll have to get that and cakewalk and some programs that change the pitch and time of the sound of the sounds. the samples that you have are really good did you use your digital recorder? they have a really clean sound also i would recamend to try out some cheap recorders because they change the way the audio can sound. also congrats to nick and lisa they finnaly are getting married.
 
Hey... Thanks for the Congratulations. We are very happy. It has only been nine years in the making.

Bailey, Nick and myself decided that we would love to have a song, even if it is obnoxious lo-fi music, it would still be great.
 
Oh yeah: congratualations Nick and Lisa! Hooray for lasting 9 years! Murf wishes you good things in the future!
 
In reply to Artmaxis

Fruity loops can change the pitch and time of the sound very easily. You just load the sound and it lets your tweak it in all sorts of ways, like pitch, time, etc. You can even run things through some different filters, like a classic Low-pass filter, etc.

The samples that I made were recorded using my old minidisc recorder and a cheap microphone from wal-mart. If you heard the samples in there entirety, you would hear that they are fuzzy and crappy sounding. But in the song all you hear are the moments that the sound spikes, like the sampled bike bell. There's not enough time for you to notice the crappy quality. But that low-quality probably adds to the sound, in my opinion. Who wants sparkling clear recordings? Things that are too clear make me nervous. I want there to be some grit and noise in there. That's why the woman talking and the train are in there, and why I used a Commodore 64 sample set. Because they've all got a little noise in them. You gotta have a little noise or things will sound too mechanical and digitial.

Oh! And you should check out this month's issue of Electronic Musician (I was reading it on my lunch break.) It has a really big article comparing all the best entry-level sound recorders and sequencers. Fruity loops, now called "FL studio" comes off sounding the most versatile, though.

What a long boring response I have given.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]