Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Midi, anyone?

Well, since Andrew did it, and I have nothing better to post, I will post old midi songs, too. I mean, Andrew reminded me how charming midi compositions were, so I dug through countless CDs of backed-up data till I found my long-lost midi compositions, along with several by James and a bunch by murf. I can't compose new ones at the moment, because I have lost Midisoft. But let us reflect on these, which come to us from the past.

My first listen told me all of these were made before I had taken a music theory class. Behold my lack of musical knowledge as you listen! Though I love major 7ths, I apparently didn't know how to make a major 7th chord back then. And I was definately coming from more of a pop sensibility than Andrew, with his dense, strange compositions. In comparison, mine are like naps in flower beds, under rainbows with only three colors. Lame! Anyway, what will these sound like on strange computers with different sound cards? I don't know, that's part of the midi-adventure.

ambian3
midnight at robot castle
organ
the baby that saved the universe but killed himself
theme from super space baby v2 (James did some of this one)
the princess at the end of the fair
the saw
The Spacestation Song
Andrew's DNA (the original musical tribute to Andrew! All 16th notes! The score makes the pattern of the double helix in parts, if you look at it! How dorky!)

And some by James, since he ain't got a web presence to post, and I have the files! Mwa ha ha, I'll post them whether he want me to or not! But really, they're more interesting than my songs, anyway.

J7
jw3
jw4

And then there's the collaborative effort of Murf, me, and James. Murf is the cool first 38 seconds or so, I did the lame slow part in the middle, and James did the weird parts at the end. Why didn't Andrew ever add a final movement you ask? I don't know. He probably should, though.

Liaku's Robot Tiki Loungejat

Whoa! Who really wants to listen to this sort of thing?

Comments:
NICE! The-baby-that-saved-the-universe-but-killed-himself is one of my all-time favorites...I've tried many times to do a live version of that one. And you found the Liakus Robot Tiki Lounge! How awesome is that! Andrew: you must get on the last movement for that one! I promise I will post a bunch of my midi's very soon, as soon as I dust thru all my old backup CDs (or, I may actually have some on 3.5 inch floppy!). A midi cross-blog tribute is in the works!
 
Oh, I forgot about Andrew's DNA too! Beautiful! I remember seeing the actually score of that one....who'd of thunk you could draw pictures with notes and actually get something sweet out of it! <><><><>
 
Yeah! Miditribute, go! I have several midis of yours, if you can't find some. I have:

Gameover
Gameover2
Harpsicrazy
Hazzard
Mystery Pizza (a fave!)
Paintball
and Spacey
 
Gameover is my very first midi ever! And you have a copy of Mystery Pizza??? Where did you find that? I've completely lost that one. I have a few other ones that I never converted from the midisoft .mmm file to .mid files...I can try to do so sometime if there is a desire and a demand for that sort of thing.
 
Oh yeah, convert them suckers. I'll send you mystery pizza. Do I remember a way cool one about a snowman? Am I imagining that?
 
Dude, I posted the snowman one and many others last night! You need to go back and check!
 
midis are so much fun. i think all three of our sets show how much megaman/ninjagaiden/finalfantasy we've played. someday i'll regenerate my skills and start churning out neomegaman songs again. someday...
 
Yeah! I just talked to James, and he has my copy of Midisoft 6, so he's going to mail it to me. I'm excited. soon I will be taking a new, more informed (musically-theorish wise) crack at neo-megaman music. Oh man!

Oh, there's a neat site called www.micromusic.net that's full of video-game type music. And if you can turn stuff into mp3s, you can submit it to them and see if they'll put you on! I've been listening to their stuff for awhile, and there's some fun songs on there. As soon as I can, I'm going to see if I can make a song and send it to them. Whoa!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]