Saturday, October 10, 2009

Novella month, day 10

She motioned to one of the chairs in front of the desk. “Have a seat. Can I offer you some candy or a metropolitan?”

I sat. The plaque on her desk identified her as Sandy, Director of Processing.

“I’ll have a metropolitan,” I answered.

She hummed and mixed us each a metropolitan from a desk-side bar.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “I didn’t realize you were the Director of Processing.”

“That’s me,” she sang, giving the second metropolitan a stir.

“I would have thought someone else would have met me at the elevator.”

She laughed, a little tinkling laugh. “Like a secretary? Or one of those awful women in one of those tight white outfits. I take a more hands-on approach than they do in admissions.” She tittered again. “God help us if the Director of Admissions got his hands dirty.” She sat a drink in front of me. All of our hands are dirty down here.” She winked.

She took her seat once more and took a long, slow sip of her metropolitan with her eyes closed. She was really savoring it. “Mmm-mmm-mmmm,” she sang. “Did you want to watch us kill people?” she asked brightly.

“Not especially.”

She tilted her head and frowned. “We do it in a very nice way.”


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]